Saturday, September 26, 2009

It's 3 o'clock Somewhere

A teapot has always reminded me of a house. There's the lid for a roof, and the spout is the chimney. The handle, the trunk of the tree that shades the house in summer. And inside, life-affirming tea. This is my first teapot in awhile, and its slab built with a scalloped crown and seam up the side. The Tea loving lady on the front holds a red polka dotted cup in one hand and a forget me not in the other. A bee buzzes at the top of the handle. And dears, this teapot holds a generous amount of your choice of rose hip, mint or Earl Grey.



Tea that helps the head and heart
Tea medicates most every part
Tea rejuvinates the very old
and warms the hands of those who're cold
Jonker of Amsterdam. 1676
Reclusive, ellusive,
wandering nightly,
unprickle the charms
you've rolled up so tightly.
This domed piece could hold a nice stack of shortbread. That's what always brings oohs and aahs here at the treehouse. The base of the dome is made to look like a tree trunk, adorned with woodland plants and bugs. The top has Mr. Pricklepin for a pull.
Here's my shortbread recipie:
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut in 1/2" pieces
1/2 t. vanilla
2 C. flour**
Mix sugar and salt, and cut in butter with pastry cutter or food processor til smooth.
Add flour and blend til crumbly. Roll in ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate 1/2 hour
Preheat oven to 250 degrees
Divide dough in half and press each half in a 9 inch diameter pie plate., score the top into wedges and add fork tine marks if you like.
Bake 30 minutes. Rotate, and bake another 20-30 minutes longer, until pale golden.
Cool in pie plate at least ten minutes. Remove and cut into wedges.
Now for chocolate adoring personages, melt 1/2 c. semi sweet chocolate chips in a pan resting in a pan of simmering water, (so the chocolate doesnt' get nasty and burnt) add 2T. cream and blend. Dip the tip of the shortbread wedge in the melted chocolate.
**I've read that if you substitue 1/2 c. cornstarch for the Flour , in other words,
1 1/2 c. flour and 1/2 c. cornstarch, it makes a very flakey cookie. I'm going to try it next time
and I'll report back on the results.
Don't forget, Jacques and Julia are on PBS today at 4:30 PST
xx
julie



juliewhitmorepottery.etsy.com

19 comments:

Batty Mae said...

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this BEAUTIFUL teapot. Julie, you never cease to amaze me with your ever changing artistic talents. I LOVE THIS TEAPOT! (but I love you even more) xoxo Batty Mae

colleen baptista said...

Julie,
the tea pot and goodie stand are wonderfully charming.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

I LOVE the teapot. Charming. And I really love the woodland dome piece. I like the tree trunk stand.

The shortbread recipe looks so good, if it cools down a little this afternoon later, I think I'll make it.

More Later,
Me
xxx

farmlady said...

My next piece is definitely going to be something with poetry on it. This is a wonderful teapot.
G.M. Hopkins is next. Savin' my money.
Love shortbread. Sounds like a good recipe. Thanks.

lilylovekin said...

Shortbread is my favorite and you even added chocolate that makes it even better. It's too hot to bake at my house this week-end. But I can't wait to try this out. I just with I had the cute little teapot to serve tea with, it is darling-as everything is that you make!!!

Judy said...

What a beautiful teapot and post. I did watch Jacques and Julia today!

Pamela said...

I was with you right up until the pastry cutter.
:)
The teapot is lust lovely! ... made me want a little tea myself. Is 3 o'clock the proper teatime? I will commit that to my memory! I love routines!!!

Maggie Ann said...

I love your pottery!... and the poem about the tea is adorable. My husband and I just had cups of 'Children's Tea' made by Davidson company tonight. Oh so good! How comforting it is! I'd try your shortbread but his triglicerides? are through the roof and causing problems.

nina said...

sunday morning. the sun is out today, after a dreadful day of all-day torrential rain on saturday. three pups, where can we go? perhaps i will make shortbread and have some tea.
the work here is some of your best (hard to top, always, but you always do). much love to you - xo

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

i just found you from wish on a whisker...wow, love your work! i used to read thorton burgess books as a kid and your designs bring back warm and fuzzy memories of those sweet stories of the animals...will be shopping soon for christmas!

Unknown said...

Love the little poem love the teapot more!! but HMMM i just can not get into drinking I am a COFFEE girl.

Anonymous said...

Oh Whit~~ This warms me on the inside! I'm a coffee lover BUT tea always brings me home. It reminds me of cups shared with my Mother. Our time. Tea time! Always a cookie or shortbread or scone around to round out the experience. I'm going to make your shortbread recipe...after the slobber is wiped away from my chin! As ever, your 'pots' make me smile. BIG! xoxoxo Basil to seed ...fall is here. MLD

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Wonderful! Love the 'ode to tea'. Best wishes.
Lesley

Aunt Jenny said...

Oh Julie...just such lovely new things. That teapot is heavenly...love the poem. I will be making that shortbread for sure. Probably tomorrow. It is 90 here today..ugh...very un-autumn!! It is supposed to cool back off starting tomorrow..which is fine by me. I will have my chamomile or rosehip tea (the same roses that provide the petals for jelly are wonderful rose hip producers too!) with shortbread and think of your lovely teapot!! You just keep coming up with more lovelie...you are my favorite!!

Simply Shelley said...

I am always amazed at the sweetness of your pottery and this tea pot takes the cake....I will have some Earl Grey....thank you and some of your shortbread as well(smile)...have a blessed week...

cabin fever said...

Julie-
The new teapot is just BEAUTIFUL! You have really outdone yourself this time, my dear.

Tea is perfect for our New England weather: cold, cold, and cold............

Thanks for sharing your wonderful talents with all of us.
Xoxo

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my dear Whitty one. May you have a day filled with your favorite things. xoxoxoxSandi

cabin fever said...

Yes, Julie, I hope you are having a wonderful birthday!!!!

Xoxo

Vintage Fairy Tales Rebecka said...

Okay, I have to admit I´m a coffeedrinker but with these lovely teapots I might change my mind!
XX
Becky

Animals who garden

Animals who garden
Donkey with green paw